Increased awareness about the importance and benefits of orthodontic treatment to achieve a healthy dentition and a pleasant smile are motivating adults to seek more treatments today to improve their dental aesthetics than in the past.
Currently, the amount of Orthodontic Treatment Procedure provided to adults covers 30% of orthodontic practice. The desire for a better smile is being raised not only by the patient, but the general dentists are also more informed about the possibilities of tooth movement in the adult to facilitate the establishment of function and health to the different components of the stomatognathic system.
But are we aware of everything we achieve when we undergo orthodontic treatment? We will list the benefits of orthodontics, beyond the smile. Nowadays, along with teeth whitening treatments or the placement of porcelain veneers, orthodontics is the most requested aesthetic dentistry treatment in dental clinics.
In short, orthodontics has many benefits, much more than the mere fact of getting a beautiful and aligned smile.
Benefits of orthodontics:
1. Improves the position, function, and aesthetics of dental pieces: This is perhaps the benefit that is most clearly seen.
2. Get the bone and gums to look healthier: The correct occlusion and position of the teeth propitiate that both the bone and the gums are healthier.
3. Get the mouth to improve its condition and also oral hygiene: The correct alignment of the teeth facilitates Dental Health and proper cleaning of the entire oral cavity and, therefore, improves the overall condition.
4. Relieves possible excessive pressures on the jaw joint: Correction of the bite and position and alignment of the teeth corrects malocclusions that sometimes generate pressure on the joint.
The correction of the bite and position and alignment of the teeth corrects the malocclusions that sometimes generate pressure on the joint.
5. Improves digestion: A malocclusion can cause the food not to be chewed properly. This makes swallowing and digestion of food more difficult. Once the bite is corrected, this problem is also solved.
6. Reduce mouth infections, tooth decay, and periodontal disease
By improving the general condition of the mouth, along with the ease of Oral Health, the risk of caries and contracting some other type of periodontal disease is reduced. It facilitates tooth brushing, and it is easier to remove dental plaque, which also prevents the formation of tartar.
7. Can improve even speech and pronunciation
Some patients with severe bite problems may have problems articulating words and/or pronounce them. When they undergo orthodontic treatment, these difficulties for speech are improved and corrected.
8. The risk of dental trauma is reduced
Patients with protruding frontal teeth, for example, are more at risk of trauma. Different Types of Orthodontic Treatment are available to deal with this problem.
9. Enhances the patient’s self-esteem
A patient who has had problems with malocclusion or crowding or poor positioning of the teeth will often have felt embarrassed when smiling. In some cases, this feeling even provokes complexes.
When the situation changes and improves your dental health and appearance, these complexes disappear and make the patient feel much more confident and socialize without problems.
10. Increase the quality of life
As a result of all the above mentioned, in short, it significantly improves the quality of life of the patient, both physically and psychically.